|Jeremiah Sullivan House
304 W. Second Street
|By far and away the best known restoration in Madison is the Sullivan House at West Second and Poplar Street. Historic Madison acquired the home in 1961. Since that time, it has restored a bake oven, basement, kitchen and a working well. It is open daily to the public.
217 W. Second Street
|Built in 1818 the Schofield house is best known as the site of the organizing of the Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Indiana, which took place here on January 13, 1818. During the Candlelight Tour of Homes a meal is usually prepared in the working open fire place.|
First and Poplar Street
|Francis Costigan designed another of his classic homes in 1846 for Captian Charles Lewis Shrewsbury, commission merchant. More conservative and restrained in design than the lanier house, the style of the Shrewsbury house follows closely that of the Classic Baltimore houses.
|James F. D. Lanier Memorial
500 West First Street
|Between Elm and Vine streets from the riverfront to Second Street. The home of Madison banker, lawyer, and wholesaler James Franklin Doughrty Lanier, this beautiful Greek Revival antebellum mansion took five years to build (1840-44). It sprang from the mind of Francis Costigan, architect whose genius is visible in many homes around Madison.|
|Jefferson County Court House
Main Street between Walnut & Jefferson
|The Jefferson County Court House, designed by architect David Dubach in the Classic Revival style and built in 1854-55, replaced an earlier building which burned in 1853.The cost was $36,000.
Open Mon.-Fri. during regular business hours.
|Madison Volunteer "Fair Play" Fire House Co. No. 1
Walnut and Main Streets
|The fire house is Italian Renaissance in style erected probably in 1875 by the Madison Street Railway Company.|
|Madison Incline Railroad||The Old Madison and Indianapolis Railroad incline that connects the hilltop area to Old Madison. Completed in 1841, the Madison incline of 7,012 feet was - and remains today - the steepest grade of any line-haul railroad in the country.|
|Broadway Fountain at Main and Broadway Streets
large graphic file
|A representative of the decoration of the High-Victorian Era. In 1876 the Republic of France presented to the Philadelphia Centennial Exposition this statuary executed by the sculptor Frederick McMonnies. In turn the National Order of Odd Fellows bought it from the Exposition at a cost of $1240 and presented it to the city of Madison.|
|St. Michael's Catholic Church
St. Michael's and Third Streets
|The church is Gothic, completed a few days before Christmas in 1839. The sandstone of which the church is constructed was hauled by ox teams from the railroad cut which had been started in 1837.|
|Christ Episcopal Church
506 Mulberry Street
|Another early example of Gothic style architecture in this part of the country. Built in 1848, it has the steep roof, the small buttresses, the pointed arches, and the exposed beams and rafters characteristic of Gothic interpretation.|
|John T. Windle Memorial Auditorium
Third and West Streets
|A spectacular example of Greek temple plan architecture, and the first Greek classic work in Madison. The Greek Revival appealed to Madisonians, not only for its aesthetic values, but because its basic structure had proportions and simplicity that could be used as a design for small residences or or large public buildings. The decorative features could be added or subtracted to fit the function of the building being built, wether it be a modest home or a public building such as a church or courthouse.|
|Dr. William Hutchings Memorial
120 West Third St.
|Office and private hospital of a mid-nineteenth century horse-and-buggy doctor, contains most of the doctor's original equipment. Built at some point between 1838 and 1848, it is a good example of the Greek Revival style, with a fine, small pediment on the street side and simple moldings and cornice board. Brick dentils on the sides are also characteristic of the Classical Greek revival. The foundation is of cut stone.|
|Francis Costigan Home
408 West Third St.
|This home Francis Costigan built between 1846 and 1849 for himself. Costigan fashioned his home with such skill and imagination that the architects of today consider it a masterpiece of design for a narrow lot.|
|Trinity Methodist Church
412 West Main Street
|This church, a structure of Gothic influence, is not Gothic Revival but really Neo-Gothic, with various elements of design applied which in no way are functional. The cornerstone was laid on September 9, 1872, and the building was dedicated in June, 1874.|